Friday, May 16, 2008

Four More ATC's - or Miniatures




















There is a 'sort of' story behind this one. The painting above is actually about 81/2 by 11 inches.
I painted it probably 20 years ago. It was done in water colors.

When my sister was visiting, she was looking through my portfolio (fancy name for scrap book) when we discovered that this painting was missing. I have absolutely no idea what has happened to it. I was - am- quite sorry about its loss, since I thought it was probably one of the best paintings I had done, and as you know I am quite partial to cats -- even big ones.

Anyway, last week I was looking around for something to draw as an ATC (Art Trading Cards, which I think I will now have to call Miniatures, because it is more appropriate). I came across another picture of a lion's face which I really liked but had set aside as being too difficult for me now in my 'declining' years!! This time I decided I would give it a try anyway and I didn't have to finish it if I didn't like it. I used my Prisma Color pencils and it took me two evenings to do as opposed to usually one (remember they are miniatures). It turned out so well that I have now regained all my old confidence and tell myself that I will tackle more difficult subjects in the future, regardless of my arthritis and eyesight. Actually, new glasses have helped a lot also!


Leo the Lion
















From the sublime to the ridiculous! Color always fascinates me, and in this one I just wanted to use color.




Aquarium Fish










Below:
Note the windblown stance of the tree. They grow like this at Flamborough because of the constant gale force winds. This is from a photo I took in the field behind where I used to lived. The tree slants from the north, because that is where most of the wind comes from.


Hawthorn and Sheep at Flamborough








Finally, by contrast, a Mexican scene. I love the colors of Mexican architecture. This turned out really too yellow, but what a pleasant courtyard nook!








Mexican Portico

9 comments:

claude said...

Very nice ! Your are an artist Chrij. I like very much the first painting.

kaybee said...

I concur with Claude -- you are an artist! I love Leo!

Anonymous said...

I used to do things like this, Chris and then gave my pencils away to my kids. I sold some things done like this to magazines. I was especially fond of doing cartoons with Prisma Color Pencils -- things like Do Fish Fart? Magazines used to really go for those kinds of cartoons. But that was a long time ago. Now my arthritis gets the best of me and it would just hurt too much.

You do nice things and I would be the first to encourage you to continue.

Berni said...

Your artwork is lovely. You sound like a very interesting woman. I will save your link so I can pop back again.

Shammickite said...

You are very talented.... I'm envious!

Anonymous said...

Oh Chris, you are so talented! What a gift you have. The lion is my favorite because it is a cat, but the scene of the wind and tree I love. Wonderful.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

beautiful works of art! wisb I could do something like that :)

Werna Gail said...

Just stopped by to catch up on what you have been doing. I always enjoy the cat and chicken photos. It also looks like you are blessed with a very handy husband, loved what he built. My friend Janet from the Lavender Loft did a paint-
ing of a lion for me YEARS ago since I am an Aug. baby and LOVE cats of all kinds. You did a great job on this one. BE BLESSED :-)

Wanda said...

Oh Chris this is so excellent. I love them all, and you have so much variety in your style and mediums.... You lion is wonderful, and Leo is great. Especially now with Narnia at the movies....Aslan.