Monday, February 16, 2009

NEW ART WORK THIS WEEK

Finally got back into the mood for doing some more drawing.

This is a red squirrel taken from Enid Blyton's Nature Lover's Book (published in England); a book from my childhood that has everything to do with my interest in plants, animals and Natural History. I found it on e-Bay again last year and paid a small fortune for it, but it was good value. I received the book for Christmas when I was about ten years old. I devoured it -- I was a big reader, and still am. I would read it a chapter at a time and then go out into the fields and try to find and identify the flowers, trees and birds the book told me about. How amazing for a writer to have so much influence over a child! I learned to love Nature so much that I minored in Natural History in college.

You can tell how much I labored over this drawing by the smudges on the paper! I have named it, Alexis. I wanted to get the likeness as accurate as possible. Do you think I did? Do you know who Alexis is? You will only know if you watch a certain TV program. Answer next post.


PURPLE MEDALLION
I love doing medallions! You can do so much with colors and design--it is unending. I start by making the circle with a compass but after that it is all by hand.


Visit http/:www.chrisscomments.blogspot.com for WISDOM FOR WEDNESDAYS


8 comments:

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

these are wonderful- I wish I could do that!

Jose said...

I love the smile on Alexis. By the way my niece's name is Alexis. The medallion is really nice too.

Anonymous said...

I like your work. It brings back lots of memories of those days when I tried to make a living doing this and failed.

Anyway, then I tried oil painting and had more luck and sold a lot of them but it never paid the bills. So I got a regular job that paid the bills and did oils on the side. That turned out to be the best solution for me.

I had more luck with pen and ink than pencil or color pencils. I used to sell a lot to Ideals magazine.

I especially like the portrait.


Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

Greg C said...

I love the artwork. The only Alexis I knew was on Dallas.

Rune Eide said...

I remember the books by Enid Blyton from my own childhood - a series about five children on various adventures. Great fun for ten-year olds then.

kaybee said...

Oooh, I know, I know! But I won't give it away. The likeness is really good -- and she's on one of my very favourite programs -- that is, when DOTH (Daughter of the House)gives me access to the TV!

I LOVE the medallion - the colours are beautiful.

You know, I read a lot of Enid Blyton's books when I was little, but never that one. I, too, read all the 'Five' adventure series, and just recently read again, "Five on a Treasure Island."

claude said...

Nice drowings, Chris !
The other day I scanned a drowing made by my oldest son when he was very young. This is a suirrel on a branche. I want to post about the squirrels of home and garden.
The purple medallion is very beautiful

Wanda said...

Great job on all of your artwork Chris! Your medallions could be made into lovely jewelry!!


Love having books from our childhood. I found one in a antique store that was published when my mother was a little girl called "Dora Duck" and it was a story about having a bad temper!!

LOL:Wanda