Sunday, April 4, 2010

WE'RE ROCKIN' AND ROLLIN'...

...but we're still here.

You must have heard by now about the 7.2 earthquake just across the Mexican border from us near Mexicali.  It kind of shook up our Easter afternoon nap.  For us, lights swayed, the computer monitor shook and I was a little concerned, but nothing fell and nothing broke. Not even pictures on the wall moved. The cat took off and is still hiding far back under the bed in the spare room and we haven't seen him since.  Even the birds stopped singing for a while.  It was the most we have felt of any earthquake since we have lived here for the past 36 years.

There is still a 5% chance of a 6.0 for about another 24 hours.  Our house is on a solid mesa of granite, so we are 'relatively' safe.  We keep a stock of water and food supplies in all the time for just such emergencies.  I was actually reading the newspaper and I felt the chair shaking so I knew immediately what it was.  It did continue longer than other shakes we have had  -- maybe 30-40 seconds.  The house and large patio windows creaked a bit but not much more than when the temperatures drop in the evening and the floor rolled.  I may be sorry for saying it, but honestly, for us in our particular site and situation, I'd rather have an earthquake than a tornado.  We had plenty of those when we were in Minnesota.

However, across the street...do you remember my post on New Year's Day about the young fellows there who built a balanced rock pile?  This was my blog back then:





These are the pictures I took today:



They were not successful. It is now as you see in the first picture.  They are going to wait until tomorrow, the ground is still shaking every now and then.

You will perhaps note that in my New Year's blog above I mention that they had had a couple of earthquakes over the border back then.  I just remarked today at Easter Brunch with our family that there had been three 4.0's just over the border in the last three days.  So I'm still claiming my rather 'shaky' (sorry, no pun intended!) title of earthquake predictor.  And if you are laughing at me and my title, I've been telling my family one is coming ever since the Chile one. They've stopped laughing but they don't take me seriously. My theory is that they move north (slowly) erupting at soft spots as they go.  Ah well, you can laugh!  I can take it.

11 comments:

kaybee said...

Well, if nothing else, now you know for sure that there wasn't a rod through your neighbours rocks keeping them upright!

I've seen some incredible videos on CNN of the water in peoples' pools sloshing around during the earthquake - some like a tsunami!

Stay safe, Chris -- hope it's all over now.

Morning's Minion said...

I just read the headline about the quake on my Google news page.
So many disruptive things are beyond our control. I sometimes feel that moment of guilty relief that "it didn't happen here," followed by the realization that these huge disasters are beyond imagining unless we experience them in person.
I like your theory about the quakes creeping along the fault lines seeking a vulnerable spot to break lose.

Wanda said...

Boy Chris did we feel it too. We were in the Park having our Easter Picnic....I thought someone was shaking my chair....it lasted a long time....

Interesting your neighbors rock stacking....and now again!

Unknown said...

Oh Boy did I ever felt it while I was hanging up some clothes on the line, I first thought I lost my balance so I grabbed the clothes line post then the post wouldn't stop moving up and down back and fouth and the ground beneath my feet dipped downward then upward...

I think I rather go back to tornados at least I can see those coming.

Autumn Leaves said...

I am not sure why, but I really am impressed by those young men, Chris. I must have found your blog after you posted that item. Their perseverence is amazing, as well as their thinking. Hoping that you continue to remain unscathed. I remember my first earthquake up in WA. Lamps swaying, rumbling, not sure what was going to happen. So? here I sit in tornado alley...

Cherdecor said...

My RSS feed still has not told me of your new post and I have been watching for it.UGH! Anyway, I am glad that you had no damage and you are relatively safe.

One question, have you any guesses where the next soft spot would be? Washington? Alaska? Do you follow that theory beyond CA?

Take care, my friend.

Jose said...

I'm still lucky enough to not feel an earthquake. Those rocks sure look cool balancing but wow that can be dangerous specially to a kid.

ChrisJ said...

Cher: Just wouldn't want to be in Alaska for the next five or six weeks. Beyond that, the usual places either east LA area or Pasadena area, then San Francisco area.
Jose: No children in circle where we live. They guys trying to reconstruct it were pretty nimble when it fell again.

Patty said...

Glad you had no damage at your place. Must be awful to feel everything shaking and wondering what's next.

Rune Eide said...

I'm glad that it all went well. Preparing for such emergencies can't be easy, but solid building quality is obviously one way.

sandy said...

Oh no those rocks got "rocked" down. I'm always amazed that people can get these balanced like they do.