Thursday, August 5, 2010

WEDNESDAY'S WORDS ON THURSDAY

"You, O Lord... know the hearts of all"  Acts1:24


These words can be either scary or heart-warming.  If there is evil in my heart -- that is, the intention to know, speak or do evil, then I think I would be a little worried to know that God knows what's in my heart. But if my intentions are to do what's right but it doesn't always happen that way, then I would be comforted. I'm so glad that God knows  how weak we are and how sin dogs our footsteps, because I believe He knows and understands our failures and  always stands ready to forgive our weaknesses -- and even our deliberate sins, that's what forgiveness is all about.
But there is a warning, God says, "my spirit will not always strive with men". So if we deliberately sin, thinking all we have to do is ask for forgiveness afterwards, we must beware that God will not be mocked. His forgiveness is not given out cheaply. Repentance must come from the heart, even though we know we will most likely sin again, so does He.  We are all sinners.  He knows that, but he also knows what is in our hearts, whether we have a desire to please Him or not. The desire to please God is what is important here.

5 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Your thoughts and words echo my own thoughts on this subject, Chris. I really hope I don't have evil in my heart. That said, I suspect that I do at times have just that. Alas.

Anonymous said...

AMEN

Jose said...

Oh yes indeed. God is great and we are so lucky to have him.

Wanda said...

You know Chris, when we can link up our desires with God's desires it puts us in a place of comfort instead of fear. But the only way to know what God desires is to live in His Word.

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart" Psalm 37:4

Excellent word and thoughts for today.

PS your butterfly is posted on my art blog. It's lovely.

Anonymous said...

lovely designs with so many Ds involved.. good one!