Wednesday, July 24, 2013

B IS FOR....

BEAUTIFUL BIRDS IN MY BACK YARD...

Sorry to be so late with my posting this week.  For a while there I nearly didn't make it at all.  Got hit with a nasty   gastro-intestinal episode and just got out of the hospital last night.  Seems it was an intestinal blockage caused by scar tissue from previous surgery.  But I am now recovering.


Enough of that, take a look at these beauties:




We have had a pair of orioles visiting us at the old house for several years and wondered if we would be favored by their presence down here which is only actually about a mile away "as the oriole flies''.  We have found that the greatest lure for them is grape jelly.  So now, half-way through a jar of grape jelly later, we have this beautiful pair visiting us regularly  a few times a day.   They usually only stay around until mid August, so I am hoping they will still be here when my sister Kay comes to visit next week.  The last photo is of the female.  The females are not usually as brightly colored as this one, so I am not sure if it was the lighting, the camera or she was just naturally brighter than usual.

This is my BIRD BOOK which I rely on for so much information:



This is truly a most useful book and I love it.  I have it right by my chair along side my binoculars.

This is my entry for ABC Wednesday about 24 hours later than usual, but at least I made it.  Do visit this new round of ABC Wednesday HERE now in the beginning of its 13th round.  Thanks Mrs. Nesbitt and Roger Owen Green for their conscientious  leadership

12 comments:

Reader Wil said...

Beautiful post, Chris! Your book is very useful.
But how are you doing now after your hospital visit? I hope you are okay now. I wish you all the best.
Wil, ABCW Team.

Jane and Chris said...

So glad that you are feeling better.Is Scruffy a good nurse or is he distracted by the beautiful birds?
Janex

mrsnesbitt said...

Glad you are feeling better Chris xxxx Take care - enjoy the birds a great way to recover from a nastly tummy bout. Dxxx ABC Team

Ann said...

Oh my I hope you are recovering well--what a scare for you. The birds have such vivid colors--grape jelly-glad to learn that. They knew they would have to follow their human family.
Ann

Roger Owen Green said...

Oh, it isn't THAT late! And it's always appreciated.

photowannabe said...

So sorry to hear of your hospital bout. Glad you are recovering.
Your new place and those lovely birds are perfect therapy.
I just read your previous post too about the Anna Hummer.
Very interesting. thanks for the follow up info.
Interesting about the grape jelly too. Doesn't it draw the bees and flies though?

ChrisJ said...

Photowannabe: The jelly does attract some bees but no more than many flowers and bushes. I don't see flies being a problem. The birds usually take care of them. The feeder is back a little way from the house and closer to the creek, not near the porch. Thanks for your good thoughts.

Leslie: said...

Gosh, after all you've been through, I'm amazed you even bothered to "think" about us, let alone post such terrific photos. Be well, Chris!

Leslie
abcw team

Linda said...

Lovely post and beautiful photos! Thank you so much for sharing.

Wanda said...

Oh that old scar tissue can cause so many problems. Glad you are out of the hospital and doing better..

Interesting about the grape jelly..Wonder if they'd like my homemade plum jelly...just asking!! HaHa.

Scriptor Senex said...

Glad they found out what caused it without too much further messing around.
Your dedication to getting your Brilliant Backyard Birds Blogged Beautifully is admirable. That first photo is super.

sandy said...

thanks for sharing your bird photos and your book . I have a couple books I use but am always looking for even more. I forgot about the grape jelly. I will put some out soon!! I think we still have orioles here although I haven't seen them in a few days. I'm not sure when they leave the area.