Monday, January 2, 2012

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

....to those who gave me the tips in their comments about how to make my banner larger and where to find instructions.  It isn't finished yet but it's better than before and I will work on it some more.  I take back all that I've been muttering under my breath about Picasa! I would NEVER, NEVER have figured out how to do all this on my own.  I have to do a re-do to make it fit better and I may make other changes yet.  But at least it isn't all a mystery to me any more.

I followed the instructions Vicki gave, just because her comment came first. I will also try out Quiltin' Granny's advice too when I have this one completed as I would like.  Then I can compare the two methods.


This is the original painting of Dane's Dyke which I did in watercolors.  Once again I must confess to having intensified its colors (perhaps a bit too much) as my water colors come up so faded on the computer. The Dyke is said to have been dug by the Vikings, or Danes, about 800 AD in order to cut off the headland and make it an island and thus easier to defend.  However, some say it goes back much further than the Danes.

Today it has some beautiful shady trails and is an ideal spot to go bird-watching. The trench is open to the sea at one end as you see here.  At the other end, the diggers met their match in the 400 foot high chalk cliffs which dominate the north side of Flamborough and Bempton. It is officially called 'earthworks' I think and is about two miles in length. There is much more on the web about this beautiful area

My husband says he misses the cliffs and caves of the previous banner and so do I .  But maybe I can now change my banner with other Flamborough pictures at a later point.

Have to get ready for ABC Wednesday now, and I may be a little later than usual in posting.


8 comments:

Vicki said...

I'm glad I was able to help. I have also used Picnik. You can do a lot there for free, but some things you do have to pay for. I gues all I can say is play around and enjoy!

Dartford Warbler said...

I can imagine the quiet , wood-lined greenness of Dane`s Dyke from your painting. Good that you have mastered more blogging techniques. Mine are still at a very basic level.

Wishing you and yours a very good and healthy year in 2012! DWx

jabblog said...

Well done! You must be a very patient woman:-)

Elizabeth said...

OOH! This is all looking lovely, Chris.I love walking in Dane's Dyke...

A very happy new year to you and yours.x

ChrisJ said...

JABBLOGG: Not patient, just stubborn!

Wanda said...

Yeah! for smart computer people to help....sorry I'm not one of them.

The painting is just vibrant and great.

Jose said...

Well, it's looking pretty in pink Chris, and soooo easy to read. :-) Happy New Year!

Kath said...

Love your watercolour Chris, lovely work.