Tuesday, August 20, 2013

F IS FOR...

F IS FOR...
FASCINATING but FRUSTRATING and non-FRAGRANT FLOWERS
It is a sort of velvety brown ...looks more greeny here but it is actually brown with some green shoots or leaves growing out of the top.


It measures about 5 inches across...



and is growing on this rather young bush which we have been faithfully watering.  The bush stands about  5-6 feet tall so far.  Although it only has two of these 'blooms', I'm sure it has much more growing to do in years to come.

We have no idea what it is, so anyone who can shed some light on it, we would really appreciate your help.

For more entries in ABC WEDNESDAY, please click HERE and see what others have posted for the letter F .

10 comments:

Ann said...

Well I wish I could help out, it is certainly unique though.
Ann

Roger Owen Green said...

I have no idea; not in my skill set!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Carver said...

Fantastic shots. No advise from me either. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

photowannabe said...

I might as well join the rest of the comments...I really haven't a clue.
Brown flowers or leaves are quite dramatic.
I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Richard Lawry said...

Not the most beautiful of flowers, LOL F is for Flamblogger of Flamborough Head!
An Arkie's Musings

Indrani said...

Very unique!
Wonder what it could be.

Reader Wil said...

I have no idea, Chris! Will you send us a message on your blog if you know it?
Wil, ABCW Team.

Wanda said...

You have us all stumped!

Nanka said...

It is unusual, spiky and mean looking for a flower, but seems a hardy tropical plant, which would grow in the wild here.
I'm sure if you pluck a leaf it could ooze a milky white sap and itchy, if it touches the skin. The horn like structure when peeled off may contain seeds inside. I'm not sure, but guessing as what I may have once seen here.

Scriptor Senex said...

I am getting so frustrated! I know I have seen (and identified) it a few years ago but it is not coming forward from the back of my brain.