Q IS FOR …QUOTATIONS … AND QUESTIONS…
“The power of man has grown in every sphere except over himself.”
Winston S. Churchill
I came across this QUOTATION a few weeks ago and the truth of these words struck me forcibly. Yet the QUOTATION raises the inevitable QUESTION….WHY? Why hasn’t man gained power over himself? There must be thousands, if not millions who genuinely want be perfect – strive to be perfect, want others to be perfect so that we can live in a perfect world. But for as long as man has existed he has never attained perfection.
BUT WHY? Why can’t we make ourselves perfect? We can do so many other things through the modern miracles of science. We all want the kind of perfection that would remove hatred, war, anger, theft, greed, murder and all those horrible imperfections that ensnare our daily lives. Why can’t we make ourselves perfect?
Christians believe that we can’t make ourselves perfect because we have an innate sinful nature and only God can change that.
Now here are some more excellent quotations from that great, but not perfect, man
Winston S. Churchill:
(Warning: some need thinking about).
1. (This one’s for me…) “A fanatic is one who won’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.”
2. If you destroy a free market, you create a black market.
3. One should be just before one is generous.
4. Where there is a great deal of free speech, there is always a certain amount of foolish speech.
5. War is horrible but slavery is worse.
6. The price of greatness is responsibility.
7. The last thing that represents democracy is mob law.
8. I am going to give a long speech today. I haven’t had time to prepare a short one. (Think about this one.)
9. When the eagles are silent the parrots begin to jabber.
10. Nourish your hopes but do not overlook realities.
AND….”A gentleman does not have a ham sandwich without mustard.” (Gray Poupon).
This is my contribtion to Mrs. Nesbitt's ABC Wednesday. Why not click on this link and see what others have contributed for this week's letter Q.