We are asked to "please tell about 10 things you HAVE done" (as opposed to the things we haven't done, which was the request last week). So here goes...
1. I have given a 5 minute speech before 3,000 people -- and it had to be memorized word for word. (I think that was the worst part.) I was so nervous I almost blacked out before we entered the arena. Seriously.
2. I have cuddled a real live koala bear. Apologies to my blogging friends who have heard this before but it is a highlight in my life.
3. I have been behind Niagara Falls in Canada; literally, in a tunnel behind the falls which had open windows like large holes with the water roaring past. If you get the chance, do it. It's worth it. We did this in the sixties, so I expect it costs the earth today. Great experience though!
4. I have volunteered at an animal shelter for a year as a 'cat cuddler'. It was a wonderful experience and I would still be doing it today if I hadn't discovered some physical disabilities that made it unsafe for me.
5. I have visited the most southerly point of the Americas, the very tip of Cape Horn, as well as the most southerly city, Ushaia, and the island of Tierra Del Fuego. These were places I learned about in school as a child and never dreamed I would actually visit. What a privilege!
6. I have written about a dozen magazine articles for publication and been paid for them (!), not to mention numerous letters to the editor. I've given up doing the latter. The letters have become too politically correct or just plain 3rd rate. I don't even read the Letters to the Editor page any more.
7. I learned New Testament Greek (forgotten most of it now, except for certain grammatical constructions) and I would have learned Hebrew but my classes clashed on the schedule. I also learned French for seven years, German for 2 years and Latin for a year. I love languages and I SO wish I had learned Spanish. Short term memory problems prevent me from learning it formally today but I'm still picking up bits and pieces. Of all the languages German was the easiest for me.
8. I have knitted several sweaters and a jacket, all good enough to wear frequently. I have also crocheted five afghans.
9. I once caught a lady red-handed stealing my purse. I didn't call security, or hold her at all. I was too young and naive to do anything except shout, "Hey, you've got my purse!" I grabbed it and she took off. I was just too shocked to think someone would do such a thing. No street smarts in my younger years -- the 60's.
10. I have about 100 paintings that I have created in the past 5 years (mostly water colors and mostly less than 8.5 x 11 inches).
We have also been asked to give a recipe -- 'something fallish'.
As I've said before, cooking is not my thing -- but candy is! At this time of the year Cinder Toffee is a great favorite in England -- Bonfire Night being its inspiration. If you don't know what Bonfire Night is, please Google it and since I don't have a recipe for cinder toffee you may have to Google that too.
More importantly, I would like to make a deal with Tapestry of Life. I know a lot of bloggers like to cook and recipes will probably be a popular item on this meme. So for the sake of my self-esteem, I propose that all participants continue to post recipes when asked and I be given the special dispensation of being allowed to post one of my medallions instead, especially since medallion is a food word...please? ...pretty please? :) :) ...only when a recipe is asked for, and I'm not trying to sell them!