Friday, December 6, 2013

RUSH HOUR

FRIDAY -- MY TOWN SHOOT-OUT

I intended to start this project last week, but my timing was off but I think I've got it right this week.  Now if only I can do the LINKY thing....

Here's the nearest thing we have to a rush hour in our neck of the woods:




 
About an hour before sunset, several of our residents walk up to the lake to feed the ducks.  They use cracked corn as bread pollutes the water.  At our house we see the ducks skimming up the creek to join the crowd at the lake which is just up stream a little way and across the road.  There must be at least a hundred of them when they all arrive.  There are mallards, coots, one lonely moorhen and a couple of others which look like they may be a mixed breed.  I'll have to check my bird book.
  After a while the big, fat, white Koi fish arrives because he knows he will always get a couple of crumbs of bread which one of the residents saves for him.   The ducks are waved away after they have had a good feed, and the resident practically hand feeds the fish, one bread crumb at a time waiting for him to chew and swallow each one before giving him the next one.

This is the kind of rush hour I like!

Please visit the others who participate in this blog who can be found HERE

12 comments:

snafu said...

Amazing how they learn where the grub is. On the Norfolk Broads, when we were children coots and moorhens were very shy creatures and fled when a boat came near. After a particularly bad winter when conservationists and residents fed the birds and kept the water from freezing over completely, they changed their behaviour and amongst all the ducks coming for a handout, there are now as many coots and moorhens.

Pauline said...

Welcome to FMTSO, Chris. Ahh, I like the rush hour in your town. Love the second photo with the last of the sun's rays adding extra colour to the scene. But your third shot had me practically speechless, that is one hell of a lot of ducks! And that is one lucky fish you have there, too.

GingerV said...

Goody - goody a new member to our group. the southern most tip of Argentina and Chile has always been on my bucket list. congrats on you trip. I like you middle photo - the ducks rushing fits our topic nicely.

Morning's Minion said...

Ducks and geese are fascinating creatures to watch---never mind that they probably make a mess!

Kerry said...

That IS the best kind of rush hour in my opinion. Lucky ducks. And one lucky fish.

Alan Burnett said...

It is wet and cold here. Just reading your words and looking at your photos made me want to jump on a plane and rush on over.

Bagman and Butler said...

LOL. Looking at your pictures, Kerry's geese and my hummingbird, I think the theme turned into Avian Rush Hour.

Anonymous said...

Good for you guys. You commented on my blog and that sparked this response which is there but goes along with what people do for the ducks and the one fish.

"I appreciate the prayers. I have so many different things wrong with me—heart, lungs, kidneys and prostate—that I am so thankful that I am still here. And, while this might seem stupid or silly to most people, I used to walk my beloved, Fox Terrier, Autumn Eve, every morning around our 1/2 mile block. After it rained the sidewalks and streets would be covered or littered with these large ground worms people use to fish with. They generally come out at night and lay in the grass and mate there, etc., but the rain causes them to come up and I guess get out of the soaked ground until the water has settled down past where they were. But I would bend over and pick them up, one after the other, on the sidewalk because when the sun came out they would be roasted alive or die from the sunlight and the heat. I told the dog that each one I picked up would give me one more day to be alive. You can believe it or not, but with all my problems, I think the Good Lord took a liking to me and is keeping me around like I kept the Nightcrawlers (fishworms) alive by picking them up."

Unknown said...

Hi Chris, thanks for stopping by. Welcome to FSO. Your take is perfect for rush hour. One similar to mine. I would love to live near the water but smack dab in the middle of Ky.
Peggy

Suburban Girl said...

I love your kind of rush hour.

kaybee said...

I simply can't believe how many ducks there are! lots of fun to feed, and to watch, but they do leave a terrible mess after they have eaten! Reminds me of the Canada geese here. We have been forbidden to feed them, in our parks, but people still do, and one must watch very carefully where one is stepping when taking a walk through the park!

Barbara said...

Well that must be very peaceful. We are used to London traffic. Say no more.