Saturday, July 14, 2007

THE TWILIGHT ZONE

One evening at the Conference last month, I felt the
need for a break from so many people and so much
noise (people in the dining room, at coffee breaks,
finding seats etc. I find I frequently need some peace
and quiet -- that's why I love my patio.) So I skipped
an evening session and sat outside in the gardens for
a while. In June, in England the sun doesn't really set
until after 10:00 pm.




So here was my view in the twilight. Just what I
needed.

But then, as I sat there I saw something strange
against
the sky, climbing one of the tall trees in a
nearby
grove. It was large and weird-shaped. It
wasn't
really scary, just weird. Then as I watched, it
suddenly dawned on me that it was one of the
peacocks I had seen around the grounds of the
house earlier that day. I had no idea peacocks
roosted in trees !



>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Speaking of weird, this tree was in the field behind
me. Not scary either, just on old oak that had seen
better days and was trying to start some new growth.


But isn't the dark sky a great foil for it?

And to go from the sublime to the ridiculous, this
sign in a Cotswold village just struck me as a wee
bit incongruous!






Even funnier was my sister's comment on
this photo. It is of Barry and I "with our
seeing eye dog"!

It's those automatically darkening glasses again!!
The dog belongs to the B&B we were staying at.
We'll have to start carrying two pair of glasses with
us when we go on vacation.


3 comments:

Mary Bee said...

Hi whoever you are????? LOL
You stopped by my blogging about retirement, saying you need to keep the balance between doing and relaxing. Couldn't agree more. I'm just limited with the get up and go "doing" part since I am vertically challenged.

Curious how you found my blog.

Paula said...

Chris,
Thanks for the kind words on my blog. I enjoyed seeing photos from your travels. When I was in high school, my sister and I traveled to England. However, I was able to stay only four days. When I returned, I was bound and determined to visit again. That was 20 years ago. I'm still waiting to return!! Your photos certainly capture the beauty. Thanks for posting. :)
Paula

Wanda said...

Very Very Cute!!! Enjoy you posts.