Sunday, August 2, 2009

Lancashire -v- Yorkshire

To continue yesterday's theme of the War of the Roses....I decided it was time to draw the two roses...

In addition,you may know the old song, She's a Lassie From Lancashire:

She's a lassie from Lancashire,
Just a lassie from Lancashire,
She's a lassie that I love dear, Oh! so dear.
Though she dresses in clogs and shawl,
She's the prettiest of them all,
None could be fairer or rarer than Sarah,
My lassie from Lancashire.

Not to be out done, this song was also written:

"My girl's a Yorkshire girl —
Yorkshire through and through.
My girl's a Yorkshire girl,
Eh! bah gum, she's a champion!
Though she's a factory lass
And wears no fancy clothes,
Still I've a sort of a Yorkshire relish
For my little Yorkshire Rose."


Sadly, not as well known.


12 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

I didn't know a song had been written for me! lol!

Jose said...

Chris, now I just want to hear you sing them.

ChrisJ said...

Jose: Trouble is I only know the tune to the first two lines of each of them. I'll have to see if I can find them on You Tube.

Unknown said...

Wonderful sketch of those roses!

I am not sure if the tone I just sang to myself even went with that first song! ha ha ha

claude said...

Very nice, Chris ! I love the couple of roses.

Cherdecor said...

Whenever I hear the name Yorkshire, I always think of the way in which they speak. I love their accent!

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

well i'm a tyke who married a lancashire lass so now we live in cheshire which makes sense. To be honest though it should be said the dukedom of Lancaster stretched across a lot of Yorkshire and the eastern base was Pontefract.

I know the tunes of both songs of course.

sandy said...

Nice drawing Chris!

Rune Eide said...

That is the way it should be!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for your visit too.

kaybee said...

I've never heard those songs before! I love your roses!

Marian Dean said...

Awww! we're not at war still, are we?

Lassie from Lancashire.

Love Granny