Monday, May 24, 2010

Odds and Ends


The Amaryllis is about 10 inches across now that it has fully opened.



Took this in a outdoors store in Boise that had quite a large exhibit of forest and desert creatures in the center of the store.  This coyote looks a bit more well fed than the ones we find around here!


This is Bailey.  It turned out quite well in catching his expression, but the color is not quite right and I couldn't fix it with my digital image editor.  He was more brown than gray, but in so many photos he comes out looking gray.  The brown is actually more of a taupe, shading to coffee cream.  I  think I need to put a wash of water color taupe over it.  I'll try it, but will have to wait a day or two as this is a busy week. The nearest to his real color is the paw at the bottom of the picture.

8 comments:

Wanda said...

Fun posts today Chris.

That is a beautiful capture of Bailey. My goodness it looks just like the photos you have posted of him.

You are so good at animals. I should send you a picture of Molly! I've tried a couple of times, but never happy with the results. Maybe I'll try again.... You know you inspire me!

Autumn Leaves said...

Bailey has such beautiful eyes! Our coyotes all seem rather small and skinny too. Michael said there was a pack of them out in our field last night. I know they are predators, but still and yet, I worry over them and their possibly not finding enough to eat. It must be so hard to always have to be hunting and foraging for food.

kaybee said...

You've caught Bailey's expression perfectly, Chris!

Gillian Mowbray said...

Amaryllisis are incredible, aren't they. That's a corker.
You've captured Bailey very well. It must have been quite a poignant piece to paint. x

Gillian Mowbray said...

Ignore the typo on my previous comment please. LOL

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I like Dailey too.

We are having some delightful weather here today. I have been out for a brief period and sat in a chair and listened to the birds singing and the mother robin scolding her baby about going there or here. The hummingbird popped in on me and left before I could really get a good look. I find I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat and it feels so good to wake up and realize it is still daylight. Your flowers are beautiful. I have some open but not much variety yet.

claude said...

Hello Chris !
Beautiful Amaryllisis.
I saw wild animals in a big store near Salt Lake City in June 2009.
A shop where you can buy everything for fishing and hunting.
The drawing of Bailey is so nice.

Morning's Minion said...

A portrait of Bailey must have been a poignant experience--he was with a long while and has been "gone' only a short time.
I have saved potted amaryllis, hoping for another flowering--usually all I get is endless cycles of flopping leaves. They are such wonders when they bloom.