Tuesday, May 11, 2010

'Q" IS FOR....

Q is for QUARTZ
If I had been born in the desert I think I would have been a rock-hound.  These two pieces, of quartz, each about 3" in size, I bought when we were in Brazil a good number of years ago now.  It was an impulse buy.  I'm sure I could have bought them here in the States, but I liked them and they had good color and were a fair size, so I bought them -- only a couple of dollars each as I remember.


The purple one is of course amethyst and the amber colored one, citrine.  Both are beautiful and grace the top of my bookshelves.

Speaking of beautiful....

Here is Henrietta between two small piles of rose quartz which a friend gave us many years ago when he was re-doing his front yard.  I could have cropped her out -- and the beautiful berries, but I didn't have the heart to do it.  Henrietta was such fun when she stayed with us!

Here she is the 
QUEEN OF THE QUARTZ
Actually, if you look closely you will see that this is actually my replica for Henrietta.  After she left us, I transformed a rooster I bought in Kauai and this is now Henrietta enjoying the rose quartz.

******


WEDNESDAY'S WORDS
I wondered if I could find an appropriate Bible verse with Q in  and sure enough I did.

"In Quietness and confidence shall be your strength." Isaiah 30:15
As a child I was always hyperactive, only they didn't use that word in those days.  What it means is I was never still and talked way too much!  As I have grown older and hopefully 'matured' I have learned that when I'm rushing about, tumbling my thoughts and actions, I do much better if I slow down and quieten down.  Today, I would say I have learned to look to the Lord for peace, quietness and confidence when I have something important to do or say (at other times too, but especially in those times).  So I'm glad I looked up Q in the Bible for ABC Wednesday.  This verse is a good reminder.

*****
If you have a moment, please go back and take a look at the two paintings I posted yesterday.  I was quite pleased with the way they turned out -- though they are no masterpieces.

18 comments:

kaybee said...

So sorry about the QUIRKY ding on your new car. I love your paintings - you are getting better and better.

As for Queen Henrietta and her quartz -- I have no words. But your Wednesdays Words -- the ones from Scripture, are actually from one of my favourite verses.

Great post, as usual!

Kim, USA said...

Oh my gush I so love your quartz stone. ^_^

ABC Wednesday~Q

Cherdecor said...

I am so sorry about the ding in your new car. That always makes one feel badly. I am glad that the fellow apologized.

Weren't these chickens in Hawaii with you???? =)

Wanda said...

Sorry for the ding.... we all get them. Now my car is 10 years old, I don't notice the dings.

The quartz stones are beautiful.

So are your drawings below... Yes you just keep getting better and better... love these!

Roger Owen Green said...

The QUARTZ is lovely.

I find QUIET to be difficult.


ROG, ABC Wednesday team

claude said...

Very beautiful pieces of quartz.
Happy to see Henrietta again !

Autumn Leaves said...

For me quietness without openness is a problem. I am often quiet, but the mind doesn't stop to relax and revel in it and misses some important messages, I think. Love the photos and the q words!

MaR said...

Oh, quartz, what a beautiful choice for the theme!!

Q is for quince

LisaF said...

The quartz crystals are quite nice! And I especially like the verse you chose. It's perfect for the scatter-brained lives we try and lead these days.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Three is nothing wrong with being a rock hound is there?? Lovely quartz! Good sized ones, it seems (impressive).Those hens are too cute.

Tumblewords: said...

I, too, find rocks utterly fascinating - everywhere I look are 'special' finds. Henrietta faux is perfect.

Jose said...

Quartz and Henrietta, wow she's still around.

jabblog said...

Lovely Q post.
I really like your paintings - what a gift you have :-)

arabesque said...

such creativity on the letter "Q"
and we do need something quiet and peaceful once in awhile.
tnx for sharing! ^-^

Elizabeth said...

I love this Bible verse. We used to have a Christian teacher who used to stand outside the examination hall and whisper it to her pupils as they went in to sit their exams. And it's so true; when we flap and flurry without consulting God about a crisis it gets us nowhere, but when we stay calm and talk to Him, knowing that our confidence is in Him, He gives us the strength to walk on, no matter what storm assails us. x

Anonymous said...

Quietness is a good word. Brings back lots of memories for me. Before I realized my ears were both buzzing.

Unknown said...

Quartz is a wonderful Q-word! Lovely mix of other good Q-words.
Best wishes,
Anna

http://annasadornments.blogspot.com/2010/05/q-as-in-quilts-quartz-abc-wednesday.html

Anne Vis said...

What a beautiful post! Inspiring!