Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pieces from my Past

Going through a long unused closet packed full of junk, I recently came across an old cookie tin.  When I opened it, pieces of my past came tumbling out...
    My report card from kindergarten (I'm 72 years old!)
    All my old high school report cards
    Three diaries crammed full of my frivolous teenage adventures from ages 16, 17, and 18
    The stub from my first paycheck as a teacher
    The first birthday card my husband-to-be sent me before we were even 'going together'
    The bill from the hotel where we spent our honeymoon in1959

While I spent a good many hours looking through these and other things like them, I think you might be more interested in more up-to-date 'P's such as...

Colored PENCILS which I frequently use for my art work

 Photography another one of my recent hobbies


 My plumeria which has survived yet another winterThis is a bloom from last year.  The plant will not bloom again until much later this year.  We are fortunate because we did not have a whisper of frost this winter.Usually I watch the weather forecast on the cold winter nights and have to throw a light cover over it if the temperature goes below 40degrees F
The brown PELICAN which has made a remarkable come-back in the last 30 years.  There are plenty of them in the beach and harbor area.  I am told they were dying out because the use of DDT made the egg shells soft and the babies could not survive.  Well they are  certainly surviving now.
Anyone from Liverpool will recognize this as what we call "The PIER Head".  It's correct name is the Royal Liver Building.  "liver" being the name of a bird that so far as I know, no longer exists.  But Liverpool certainly still does and this magnificent building is in good shape.  It was known by my husband and his cronies who grew up there, as "the peer-red".  Say it fast and you will understand. It stands beside the River Mersey.  Yes, this is the same Liverpool as the one where the Beatles came from.  We have the distinction of knowing someone who knew JohnLennon.  He used to stand as lookout while the rest of them went shoplifting!




 In honor of the Virtual Paintout this month, whose topic is Portugal, I decided to include this tile made in Portugal and brought home for me by my husband after visiting there a year or two ago.


 *****
I'm back from my visit to Boise and will be visiting my blogging friends again soon.  But Boise  -- or the flight -- was a little too generous in passing along a bug to me.  Anyway between sneezes and blowing I have not missed ABC Wednesday.  Aren't you glad computers can't pass along this kind of bug , or virus?

21 comments:

Wanda said...

What a treasure you found in the closet. It must have been fun reading through them.

Your pencils are so sharp and ready to use.

All of the other pictures and narrative is so interesting.

Good job for P, Chris.

Rune Eide said...

I must admit that a cleaning out of closets i required here to, but I'm afraid of the consequences :-)

I enjoyed your self-portrait in the mirror with the inversed Sony!

I hope for a speedy recovery from your virus.

photowannabe said...

Oh Chris, I hope you feel better quickly. Colds are icky.
Love the pencils. They are so colorful and the design is great. Enjoyed the entire post.

Autumn Leaves said...

I'm not getting the 'peer-red' allusion, but then I usually am a day late and a dollar short. I so love that tile; it is a gorgeous piece of artwork!

mrsnesbitt said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to post Chris, despite feeling unwell! Says it all really!
Thanks so much for contributing,

Denise (ABC Team)

jabblog said...

Interesting post for P.
Sorry to read about Bailey, poor boy.

Anonymous said...

I just love coming across something that unexpectedly brings back happy memories... maybe that is why I hoard!

Roger Owen Green said...

I have old stuff - report cards, at least from 5th grade, maybe earlier. Need to file it somewhere...

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Unknown said...

Ohhh I love your entry. peices of our past brings joy to us.

claude said...

Google translator do not want to work this morning. I 'll go back on this post later. The bunch of colored pencils is very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am glad. With my lung problems, when I catch any kind of cold, it ends up being a nightmare for me. So I do my best not to catch one. It is allergy season here in Ohio were we live and the antihistamines are in full use to keep the pollen from tickling too much.

I really like the Portugal tile your thoughtful husband brought home for you.

I was amused at the mention of the friend of John Lennon who was the lookout while the rest did their shoplifting.

jay said...

What an interesting collection of Ps! I think I like that first section best, with all your old keepsakes and reminiscences! I love finding things like that of my own. :)

LisaF said...

I so enjoyed your post this week. I absolutely love the colored pencils! I also love to going through old records, photos and memorabilia from the past. Thanks for the smile.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

I love your blog! And, what a great post for "P's"! A plethora indeed!

Jose said...

Oh Chris, I am a fan! Always enjoy your posts, love your pictures, and appreciate your friendship.

Cherdecor said...

I like the artistic arrangements of your colored pencils. To me, they look like flowers.

Hope you are much better from your allergies.

claude said...

Your old cookie tin is a magic box !

Elizabeth said...

A perfectly presentable set of 'p's! Love the photograph of the pencils. x

Rowan said...

How marvellous to find that tin with all the bits and pieces from your past. Hope you are feeling better now, not much fun coming back from a trip feeling ill.

snafu said...

The pencils are a hit. I think you take brilliant pictures and you have only just started? Your dad will be turning in his grave, you obviously have the family talent.

kaybee said...

Wish I could look through all the 'pieces of your past' with you, Chris. I have some of my report cards, too - but they are hardly worth reading!

I love the Portugal tile -- could you send me a scanned copy of it? I would love to try and draw it.

Snafu is right - you got the best of our father's talents!