Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Shout Out to Nicky


  



This is just to give a 'shout out' toNicky of mykiwiuklifeinphotos.blogspot.com 

who has just recently moved from New Zealand to Flamborough Head,Yorkshire U.K. which those of you who visit me frequently will know is my most favorite place in the world.
Above is the end of the headland, showing my house far right on the edge of the cliff (no longer there). The field of barley lower far left was washed out in 1953 by waves which broke over the cliffs in a famous nor'easter.


Below is one of me on a breezy day at North Landing  --tide out --taken a couple of years ago.(Mid-summer by the way!)

,


This is the High Street in the village.  Couple of good fish and chip shops along there.  Note the original white limestone wall.  These are rapidly disappearing because the chalk limestone does not wear well.
  



This is Little Thornwick Bay. Kind of difficult to get down to but a very nice sheltered spot for a picnic, if you're young enough to climb down. Big Thornwick Bay is the other side of the right hand cliffs.  Another good place for a picnic.


An arch carved by the North Sea at  the lighthouse, called Green Stacks I think.  Puffins to be found there.

A typical North Landing scene, especially in winter.  Robin Lythe's Cave on the right.  Sixty foot high once you get inside.  Villagers have been known to hold meetings in there at low tide years ago..  Robin Lythe is a legendary pirate.

Welcome Nicky!  I hope you get plenty of visitors redirected from my blog to yours. And I hope your life on Flamborough Head is as happy as mine was!

9 comments:

claude said...

A very pretty place, Chris !
Beautiful cliffs !

Cherdecor said...

Chris, Did you live there in 1953 when the waves came over the cliffs? What year did you move away?

Rune Eide said...

I see I have missed something when I have visited Yorkshire. But that can hopefully be remedied.

Anne Vis said...

It's so beautiful where you live! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Unknown said...

I love those white clifts, we don't have them here that I ever seen along the coast of California.

I bet you miss living there.

kaybee said...

Making me Homesick for Flamborough all over again!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful look at your and places you called home.

Wanda said...

So beautiful Chris.... Also loved your progession of the cat painting....

Gerald (SK14) said...

Ah Thornwick Bay - we were caravanning there when my Grandma died and we had to come home. I didn't get to go on the Yorkshire Belle from Bridlington - it was some thirty years before I went back and made that trip.