Thursday, September 22, 2011

New Artwork - The Royal Robe Vine

I'm still plugging away at my art work, although 'plugging' is not quite the word.  I do enjoy doing them, but finding time and having my hands in condition to do the work sometimes holds me up.  I've been wanting to do this piece for quite a while. It is a spectacular flower.

Flowers of the Royal Robe -- each bloom grows to approx, 1 1/2" across.
( PrismaColors, size approx. 4x4" Copyright C.A. Jones)

This is the photo on which I based my drawing.

It is commonly known as the Potato Vine and as I have said several times before, it is such a beautiful flower it should have a more beautiful name.  I suggested Midnight Star. However, I have done  some more research in depth on this plant.  I discovered that It is a derivative of the Nightshade family and that there are a great many varieties that have now been developed.  I discovered also that my particular bushes are actually called ROYAL ROBE  or Blue Lycianthes Rantonnetii. I have also seen it named Solanum Rantonnetti. I imagine there are some botanical differences between the two but I am not experienced enough to know what they are. So....ROYAL ROBE it is. 

Here is one of my three bushes that has never ceased to bloom profusely all summer long and still is blooming. I took this photo only a few days ago.  It overshadows the fountain and the bird feeder. The birds love it because they can shelter in it to hide from the Cooper's Hawk that was visiting for a while. 

THE ROYAL ROBE VINE

15 comments:

Jose said...

It isn't until you see the closeup that one realize how pretty these flowers are. Your drawing is very pretty as always.

Anonymous said...

You did very well on this one.

sandy said...

Your Royal Robe is gorgeous!! I planted a potato vine at my other house and always have loved the blooms. Great job.

Jane and Chris said...

I do admire those who can draw and paint, and you certainly can!
Jane x

Wanda said...

A very pretty flower, and your rendition is so real looking.

I must say, my Prisma Pencils are still in their box....Cannot master them. I need to watch you do your magic.

Autumn Leaves said...

Beautiful, Chris! Is this a variety of Morning Glory? I can't remember if the Morning Glory is part of the Nightshade family...?

jabblog said...

Glorious vine - such a beautiful rich colour. I like your painting too - lovely.

claude said...

Hello Chris !
I was in Paris.
These flowers are very beautiful (i Love the coloer) and your drawing is very weel done.

Beverley Baird said...

Beautiful flower and lovely painting!
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such supportive words!
have a wonderful weekend!

photowannabe said...

Oh I love that shade of purple. It definitely should be called Royal Robe.
Great job on the watercolor Chris. Wish I could do that.

Patty said...

Very, very nice painting. Beautiful color. Have one terrific week-end. Want to fix a meat loaf for supper tonight along with scalloped potatoes, salad and perhaps baked apples. Cool enough to have the oven on.

Rune Eide said...

A flower and, not the least, a drawing to be proud of! It looks definitely like royalty, but for some strange reason I would suggest Polar Star ... :-)

Harry Nicholson said...

Good morning, Chris. I've arrived here via your link - so, today it is working.

There is a potato vine doing well against our fence and this garden is just below Sleights Moor.

You are a long way from Flamborough . . .

regards

Harry

Gillian Mowbray said...

What a fabulous colour - the word royal suits it admirably. Nice work, Chris. x

snafu said...

Which one is the photo? Nice painting.