Saturday, May 26, 2012

A SURPRISE

I just received an e mail from someone who lives in Flamborough.  First, he lives in Anerley Cottage, which is named after the book I re-wrote, first written by R.D. Blackmore. (See my side-bar for details). Then he asked  if he could use my sketch of Flamborough Lighthouse.

I did this a couple of years ago and I guess it is a pretty good likeness.

Apparently there is a plan unfolding to build a wind turbine to generate wind power on Flamborough Head. Now I realize there is a great need for power in our world today, but to build a monstrosity like this in a place so unique, pristine  and as beautiful as Flamborough Head is unthinkable!  It would be like building a power plant by Yosemite Falls.  

Thankfully there are people who are spear-heading opposition to prevent this from happening.  The wind turbine to be built is almost 30 feet higher than the lighthouse. Apparently those opposed would like to use my sketch in a brochure to show by comparison just how much bigger than the lighthouse the turbine will be.

I am honored that I have been asked.  I don't do anything commercially with my art, so this will be a first for me.  Anything I can do to keep Flamborough Head in its beautiful, unspoiled condition is a number one priority for me and very close to my heart.


5 comments:

snafu said...

Congratulations on recognition of your art and I hope their campaign goes well for them. It is an on-going problem in our tiny and overcrowded island that engineers look at the wind levels and decide a certain spot is fine for a wind farm, but never look at the aesthetics or inconvenience side of the issue. Co-incidentally, yesterday I posted my thoughts on wind power and some of the issues behind it.

MorningAJ said...

I'm not normally against wind turbines because I don't actually think they're ugly. But not on Flamborough Head. What's wrong with out at sea?

Well done on having your drawing chosen. It IS very good.

Kay G. said...

You are an artist too! How talented you are!
I am so so glad that your art will be used for such a good purpose. I wish them the best of luck.

Scriptor Senex said...

Turbines at sea are one thing. Turbines on remote moorland spots are less acceptable. But to even think of sticking one on Flamborough Head sounds like lunacy to me.

I hope the comparison with your sketch helps!

Wanda said...

Chris...this is so wonderful that your "home" across the sea, and your "art" are coming together to help preserve something special.

Wow....I say right on girlfriend.