Saturday, December 17, 2011

THE PHOTOS FOR 'V'

Finishing up 'V' for ABC Wednesday

To be honest I not only wanted to complete my 'v' entry, but since I plan to make this year's blogs into a book, I really wanted to include photos of my school, VICTORY CHRISTIAN HIGH SCHOOL.  I have had a blog book printed every year for the past four years.  They have become almost like an illustrated journal of my life. So when I realized I had very few references and photographs in my past blogs about the school (which had consumed so much of my life for 22 years), along came 'V' day, the perfect opportunity to make an entry.  But I didn't count on having a new computer to deal with last week and having to learn the idiosyncrasies of a new editing and scanning program and other such "stuff".  So I have decided to make up for what has been missing and to complete my 'V'  entry today.

The down side for you, my blogging friends, is that the photos are mostly of people that you don't know.  So please forgive me if I indulge in posting these photos taken in very recent years.  There are many photos from the early years missing -- they're all in the yearbooks.

So here we go:

The school founded 1972, in its last years before it closed in 2006.

Some of the students in the nineties.

A graduating class in the nineties, with my dearest friend and teacher Mrs Penman (L) and me. What a great bunch of students these were!


A couple of happy moments in the life of the school -- Awards Day and Graduation Day.

JoEllen was such a great support to me, a wonderful teacher and counselor. She died very unexpectedly only two years ago. I still miss her great sense of humor and friendship. 

When I took over as principal it was at a point when the school was about to close.  I asked the board to let me see if I could keep it going.  It was about 1990 and the bad economy and real estate collapse had hit Southern California hard -- much like today.  I retired in 2002 and the school finally closed in 2006. So we kept it going for another 16 years, but on a smaller scale than in the past. I was on the board until that day and I am proud to say that when we finally closed we did not owe a nickel to anyone and what assets we had were divided between other non-profit organizations. 


So that's the end of my V day for ABC Wednesday.  I don't know if I can post twice for the same letter
but I'm going to try.  If you haven't already visited, click on this LINK to see what awaits you there.
Whoops!  Too late, but here's the URL to copy and paste:  http://www.abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.com/

SEE YOU NEXT WEEK

3 comments:

snafu said...

Teaching is a very worthwhile vocation and it is hard to give it up. With children it must be fantastic to watch them develop and grow.

Richard Lawry said...

I attended a Christian High School and was the school board chairman for many years of an eight grade Christian School. I know first hand the difficulties in keeping a private school operating. My son started his first job out of college this year as the principal of a small 2 teacher ten grade Christian school.

An Arkies Musings

kaybee said...

Much to be proud of there, Chris, and as you say, a large paart of your life. I am sure there are many grads who remember VCS with great gratefulness for the opportunity of being there.

Your 2011 blog will be a great addition to the previous ones - a legacy for your family!