Tuesday, December 20, 2011

W IS FOR ...

...WATERCOLORS


I went through all my paintings and found only two that I don't think I've posted before and both of these were done in the eighties.  The first one is appropriate for Christmas because I copied it from a Christmas card.  It is one of the earliest I ever did and it hung in the corner of the living room where my mother and father-in-law lived in Llandudno until Dad passed away in 2002.  Like most of my paintings it is not very large -- about the size of a post card.





A Scottish Thistle.

I can't believe it is so long ago since I did these.  I was only just starting out in my painting, with no lessons or tutor.  Back then I spent many long hours painting.  I still like to paint but find it hard on my hands and eyes.  So now I mostly use Prisma Color pencils which can actually produce an almost water color look.

This is the only drawing I did while we were in Kauai, although I took all my painting and drawing kit with me.  

A Dog at the Beach

I have to admit that I did a little color enhancement with  the computer on this.  It really came out from the new scanner looking a little anemic. Got to make some adjustments.

I have done very little painting in the last few months.  Seems like the last few months have been especially busy.  When the opthamologist gives me the OK to have my other cataract taken out maybe I will be more inclined to get back to it.  Certainly I hope to do more in the NEW YEAR.

In the mean time may I wish you, all my blogging friends, a very blessed Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah.

**********

This is my contribution to ABC Wednesday for the letter W.  Please click on this LINK to see more of all the contributions from hard working bloggers who participate in this project.  



17 comments:

Chubskulit Rose said...

Wow you are gifted with an amazing talent. Wish I have that kind of gift hehehe. Beautiful paintings ChrisJ.

Mind of a 6 year old Writer. Happy holidays!

Leslie: said...

LOVE your paintings! I'll be heading to Llandudno next summer, as my paternal grandmother was born and brought up there. She left when she married my grandfather (from Liverpool) after WW1. I'm so looking forward to it.
Hope you have a wonderful, warm Christmas!

Leslie
abcw team

Roger Owen Green said...

you are so WONDERFULLY talented. My father used to paint barren trees, so that pic particularly resonates. merry Christmas.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Meryl said...

WOW these are absolutely marvelous and I agree with Roger, you ARE wondrously talented!

Wishing you and your family a merry Christmas.

Wanda said...

These are lovely paintings Chris...

I haven't painted for a while either. I do have a Creative Tuesday painting due on Dec. 27...will see what I come up with.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

It is good to be artistic. May be you can start painting bigger paintings and even sell some of them.

Tumblewords: said...

Nice paintings! It's hard to beat watercolor...imho. :)

Jose said...

Oh how I love your paintings, the dog at the beach is so pretty. You are so talented and I feel fortunate to own some of your work.

Gattina said...

Very nice ! I thought it was pastel ! I like to use pastel too, but now mostly use acrylic.

Unknown said...

You are such a good artist. Here's hoping the new year brings you the health to do many more!
HelenMac
ABC Wednesday Team

photowannabe said...

Merry Christmas to you too Chris. You are very talented and I hope the cataract surgery will spur you on to painting again.

Joy said...

Wishing you well with your cataract so you can use your talent for painting again. The dog looks to be having a lot of fun. I always love the bare trees of winter with their intricate branches

Morning's Minion said...

The painting of a winter morning has such beautiful and delicate colors--almost a wistfullness for a scene remembered and loved.
As a girl in school I so wanted to be able to draw--definitely not one of my gifts. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

ChrisJ said...

Ann: Most of my paintings are based on someone else's painting. Some are from my photographs. But I can't sell them because of that. I had thought of trying to sell some of my originals, but I decided it was more stress than my art was intended to be for me.

Berowne said...

Your work perfect for the holiday season...

Rune Eide said...

That first one (especially) would make a treat on anyone's wall. You have captured the spirit of the season just right.

Thank you so much for the very pleasant comment - it was very much appreciated :-)
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you both!

claude said...

Hello Chris !
I love your paintings. The first one is very beautiful.
MERRY CHRISTMAS !