Tuesday, January 12, 2010

CONTRASTS

My sister has come down from Toronto to visit for a couple of weeks.  She is a retired missionary and is now a writer.  She is deep into a lengthy research assignment, so for her, this is a working holiday.  But working conditions are and added bonus.
 SHE LEFT THIS ---


---FOR THIS ---


 But you see she really is working!  We have had four weeks of outstanding weather and I was so afraid it wouldn't last until she got here.  But it did!  And we have about another week for sure. I am so sorry for all you people who are having such awful weather, and I don't mean to rub it in.  But this is my life -- my web-log today.

I am sorry too for not getting round to as many comments as I usually do.  I have the usual excuses of many things happening right now, but I've also been on some antibiotics - something with sulfur in it and it is making me more ill than before I started.  It's been hard to concentrate.Only one more day's dose left thank goodness!

WEDNESDAY'S WORDS
"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you"  James 4:8
My cat, Bailey, races through the house or scratches energetically on the carpet when he wants my attention. But if I ignore him, unlike most other cats who will climb all over you, Bailey will go and sit by the window or under the table and ignore me.
God does not push Himself upon anyone, but if we show an interest in Him, He will interest Himself in us. I know that God wants a warm relationship with me.  That's what I want too, but so often I get bogged down with 'stuff' that I ignore Him.  How can He have a relationship with me if I ignore Him?

Many years ago we used to sing a chorus:

Standing somewhere in the shadows you'll find Jesus.
He's the only one who cares and understands.
Standing somewhere in the shadows you will find Him

And you'll know Him by the nail prints in His hands.




11 comments:

Gillian Mowbray said...

Well, it's nice that someone has good weather and appreciates it while it lasts. Love that photo!

I thought of you 2 days ago when viewing a TV prgramme about railway journeys in the UK. They stopped off at Bempton (?) and went to Flamborough Head. We saw all the seabirds and the 2 lighthouses. Then they went to Filey and focussed on a lady who still hand-knits Filey Guernsey sweaters for the fishermen.
A pity you can't get the prog there. x

Jose said...

I've always said that one of the best gifts you can give others is 100%... it's your time. Your post just reminded me of that.

mrsnesbitt said...

Chris did you get my e-mail re Flamborough programme link?

Cherdecor said...

You really are lucky to have such wonderful weather. I am glad that your sister gets to enjoy it with you.

I love that song....standing somewhere in the shadows......My mother and father sang together and they used to sing that song. thank you so much for posting it.

Morning's Minion said...

I hope you continue to have pleasant weather, but you will enjoy your sister's company no matter what.

claude said...

You are a lucky sister, Chris. I have very bad relations with mine. She is a special woman.
Her children have better relations with me than with their mother.
I like pink clouds behind tree leaves.
Pat to Bailey.

Anonymous said...

Took me ages to download photos from the holidays - then I did the lot in 2 days! Hopefully will be more 'with it' in Maui - I was surprised to see it was from Kaybee but read thru to find out it really was you - initially surprised that she would read my blog!!!
Enjoy your time together - my sisterly visits are usually only a few hours after a 3 hour drive!!! My other visits with my other sister are a few days after 2 days drive there...................

Wanda said...

I love the picture of your sister in the sunshine working dilligently on her lap. Only in Southern CA. We had company this week, and we sat in the back yard drinking ice tea.

Love the song too.

Have fun with your sister...blogging will alway be here.

Rune Eide said...

The top one reminds be of something I have seen outside for a while now :-IO

The second of a colleague who is about to visit her daughter in SF - and will sit like this.

kaybee said...

Having a LOVELY time here, Chris. Don't even mind if the threatened rains come -- so much better than cold and snow! I am blessed.

Love your Wednesday's Words!

sandy said...

Chris, hope you are feeling better. I'm way allergic to sulfur drugs. I can't take them anymore.

I imagine your sis has really enjoyed this weather.