Sunday, January 17, 2010

Left Overs

As we are bracing for the heavy rains  and wind which they are forecasting to begin tonight, we are thankful for the lovely days we have had for the past week.

 
 Here I sat and chatted to another beach-gazer, while I waited for Kay to come up from the beach.  She arrived and snapped this.  The new friend is an artist, so we enjoyed our chat.


 
 When people travel Highway 101 that snakes its way all down the coast from Canada to San Diego, the beach towns all begin to look the same.  Sadly, Carlsbad is remembered because of this power plant, which needed the water from the ocean to function.  So it is right on the coast road, a blight on our beautiful scenery, but a monument to our burgeoning needs.  They are talking about pulling this one down and building another, hopefully less unsightly, further away from the beautiful coast.  But where?  The City Fathers wrestle with this and to be sure there is no easy answer and no pleasing everyone.



 
Kay took this lovely photo, which I have borrowed. It wasn't quite sunset, but she took it in the 'scenery' mode of her camera and we liked the effect.  I like the runner who looked as if he were running home before it got dark.

So now we hunker down for the week of rain to come.  Some good 'art days ' ahead of us, we hope.  I will have to feed the birds on the picnic table for a while as their tray fills with water -- needs some holes in it.  They are busily feeding right now.  They know bad weather is coming.



 Bailey's all set to face the weather.


8 comments:

Gillian Mowbray said...

Batten down those hatches, Chris! Lovely piccies of the beach.....sigh ...

Morning's Minion said...

The weather and scenery there are so different from the interior west. Almost another country.
The sight of a beloved cat snuggled down for a nap is universal--cats make any place look like home.

Anonymous said...

I have always been amazed, when on vacation, how many people I run into who seem to share my interests in different things. From art to photography.

Anonymous said...

I think Bailey has the right idea - SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP until all is passed!

kaybee said...

Sometimes I feel like Bailey, especially on dark, rainy days -- just want to bury myself in a pillow and sleep, or curl up in front of the fire with a good book. Or learn how to paint -- hope I will be a good student for my sister. She's a great teacher!

sandy said...

It's pouring here in the Inland Empire, foothills of San Bernardino mountains. I imagine you are really getting high waves too.

Jose said...

The rain has reached Phoenix but it's no downpour. I have to go and visit the beach again. Everytime you post those wonderful images I imagine I'm there.

Unknown said...

I like the sunset photo, very nice shot also like at how you pointed out about what the runner made you think of...that gave me a little giggle.

Hope you were able ride out this wild and wet storm we had, and to think more is to come?