Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Old Mill


This is the sum total of my art work in the last three weeks.  There is an old windmill near to where we stay when we visit Flamborough, but it doesn't have any of its sails.  Now I hear they have a wind farm out on the moors. The kind of turbo wings -- not too attractive I'm afraid.  This is another of my ATC's -- watercolor, 3 1/2 X 2 1/2 inches.

WEDNESDAY'S WORDS
"As long as he sought the Lord, God made him prosper." 2Chron:26:5
I've been studying up on the history of some of the kings of Israel, in readiness for my Bible Study on Isaiah, which begins tomorrow.  It seems like such a simple thing to do, "to seek the Lord" or to "do His will," or "to obey Him", but most of us are just like the kings of old -- sometimes we do and sometimes we don't.  But God has said so many times, in so many different ways, "if you obey me, I will bless you."  Like most good fathers, God loves to bless us.  I wonder why it is such a struggle to obey Him?  Of course, we know it is sin in us that pulls us away from Him, but most of us don't like to think of ourselves as sinners. Yet we must, if we want to be blessed.

9 comments:

Gillian Mowbray said...

I think this has to be one of my favs of your ATCs. You've captured the age and charm of the windmill very well. BTW, I like wind turbines. I find them elegant - they could be so much worse!
Another btw - I wasn't born in 1947 so don't know about that winter. I do recall the winter of 1962-63 though - that freeze went on for months! This one looks set to continue....

Jose said...

Your posts put me at ease. I like reading your Wednesday words. Your paintings... I really like them all and I am proud to own 4 of them. My next project is to have them framed but I'm still debating how to frame them.

Patty said...

Very nice painting. I can neither draw nor paint. Took one water color painting class, was so tickled with how the drawing looked, I never went back, because my husband (he's an artist) said he could show me and save myself the lesson fees. I was trying to keep it as a surprise and present him with a painting for his birthday. But I was so tickled, just had to show him. LOL Well that's like having a husband show you how to drive a car, it just never seems to happen.

claude said...

Very beautiful painting, Chris, as usually. Over here we have some watermils.

kaybee said...

Love that windmill - it can't be easy to paint such a tiny picture.

Your Wednesday's Word is very true and a very profound thought.

Wanda said...

Jose is right, there is something so very peaceful in your art work. I think the colors in the windmill picture are great, and it reminded me of a picture that hung in our home for years when I was little of a windmill on a dark night.... it's out in the garage...I may need to try to paint it.

BTW I have linked you in my Art Blog so others can enjoy your beautiful work and words.

Cloudia said...

Love your art, Chris!

Aloha, Friend


Comfort Spiral

Rune Eide said...

There is something special about the old wind mills. I sense the atmosphere of the large wings as they slowly turn. Once they were the height of technology - today a relic that needs to be taken care of.

sandy said...

Nice nice job.