Saturday, January 9, 2010

Time For Art

I see a lot of blogs have been suggesting those who draw or paint try a self portrait to start out the year.  I thought I'd give it a try and with a couple of tips from Wanda this is my first effort.  Make no mistake about it, THIS was what I looked like in 1957

I based it on the photo below

  


A couple of weeks ago I started on this abstract.  Really I just wanted to do something with my hands while watching TV and I was longing for something really colorful.  I really have no idea of what an abstract should incorporate, so I just went with the flow of colors.  It probably isn't anything you would put on your wall but I do like all the colors.
 



At Wanda's recommendation, I picked up the book, "Keys to Drawing by Bert Dobson". I plan to try out drawing with pen and ink one day soon .  So this afternoon, I was watching Bailey watching the birds through the open patio window --(I won't even start to mention the weather since everyone seems to be suffering so miserably!) I had a sketch pad and pencil nearby so I decided to try out a little of what the author recommends.  I've only really read the first few pages of the book, but have found it very helpful.  The results below took about half an hour.  Soon I'll get up the courage to try pen and ink-- no erasing with that medium!!
 

I called this "Bailey on Guard". And yes, he does have rather large hips!  Remember he is a 17 lbs cat. These sketches are notable for me since this is the first time I've drawn anything from real life.This is what he does most of the day, if he isn't eating or sleeping. He guards the house from birds, possums, rabbits and other cats.  Mostly he is on the lookout for other cats.  He is an indoor cat. A black cat came by the other afternoon.  The patio window was open, but the screen door was closed and it has a metal mesh guard on it for just such times as this.  The black cat was very friendly and walked up to the window.  In a flash Bailey was up at the screen and hissing.  Very territorial.  But he's never like that with anyone in the house.  I think he knows he's on to a good thing and isn't going to share it with any other cats.

12 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

well done - I realised at an early age I couldn't draw for toffee!

Morning's Minion said...

I'm a bit timid in trying to express opinions about art--because of my total ignorance of the skills of drawing and painting. That said, I'll go on to comment that the marvelous thing is the way both sketches have captured the personal: the young woman is YOU--the cat is obviously BAILEY!
My Mrs. Beasley takes guard duty seriously. If our daughter's cat from next door crosses the porch or peers in the entry window, Mrs. B. is there in a hissy fit telling him that he is trespassing!

Jose said...

1957 I wasn't even born yet. lol
The abstract drawing is awesome, I like the combination of colors. Wanda is such an inspiration, isn't she?

Gillian Mowbray said...

You look so angelic, Chris. You've done a great job on that portrait. I'm not that brave.
I hope you try pen and ink soon. I find it much more freeing than pencil because you can't rub out mistakes - you just go with them - make them part of the sketch. Surprising but true.x

Cherdecor said...

I LOVE your self portrait! You did a great job. I am going to try to draw my self portrait sometime when I need a good laugh!

Your abstract drawing is great too! I can see that in a room where you want to draw the color to the other side of the room, for instance the purple.

Bailey is a great cat and I like his large hips!

Did you hear the rumble? I saw on the news that CA had an earthquake last night. It was so big that I thought perhaps you may have felt a little.

Wanda said...

Hip Hip Hoohray!!! Oh Chris I just love your self portrait! You did a fantastic job.

And what's up with Jose, trying to tell us we're so old....he wasn't even born we were dancing a jig at our High School Prom. (You gotta love him)

And Bailey...Now you've inspired me I 've got to sketch Molly looking out our window which she does laying on the arm of the couch.

I love my art books...to me they are like taking classes in Art.

If you keep this up, you'll be opening you own Art Blog!

Love and Hugs dear artist friend!
Wanda

Unknown said...

Your art is very nice and to think back in 1957 I was probly still in diapers yet.

Devika Jyothi said...

Lovely self portrait and other works...especially the Old Mill :)

from Wanda's blog,

wishes,
devika

sandy said...

Chris, applause for your self portrait, wonderful job!

claude said...

Nice portrait on yourself, Chris.
I like very much the colors of the abstract.

The Crusty Crone said...

Nice work on all the art!! And I'm so glad you also posted the photo you used for your self portrait. By jove, I think you've got it!

(And I really love the cat sketches!!)

Anne Vis said...

Wow, you rock! :-) Especially your cat drawings are precious! Have you tried Betty Edwards?